Monday, January 19, 2009

Pet Peeves and Nicknames

Pet Peeves...Face it, we all have one or two hundred fifty-seven. They are the things that others do that bug us, or just plain gets under our skin! I have a few, but it seems that I can never remember what they are until they are right in my face, I am just that way I guess.

I have one for you, and it isn’t a huge one with me, but one that was “in my face” recently, and I have thinking on it recently. Nicknames. We have all had people call us by something other than our given name from time to time and I am sure that we also have called others by a nickname, even when they might not have been exactly endearing ones. Usually not a big deal, right? I have had my fair share of nicknames, and for those of you who know my last name, understand why! Most of the nicknames I can take with a grain of salt, and they don’t bother me. Usually because they were from someone I know and care about. But what I noticed is, that whenever someone I am not close to, or do not at least have some type of established relationship with, calls me something other than my name, it kinda bothers me! And I am thinking…who are they to call me that, they aren’t supposed to do that!!

I’ll admit that I have special names for some sisters and brothers and Christ, but it took time. It took building a relationship first. Then in time, comfort and depth were established…the name flowed naturally…either out of something that they said or did that was funny, and it just stuck, or it was something they had been called all their lives, but even so, I go back to the given name in important moments.

So you might wonder where I am going with this whole nickname pet peeve business. Well, have you ever wondered why your real name is important? Well let me tell you…That is what the Lord whispers to your heart in the moments you are quiet enough to hear Him. I’m cool with being called, TR Cheek, TC, T, Teeny Weeny, Cheeks…etc, I have even been called Tammy (by a well meaning customer)…but when you REALLY want to get my attention…look me in the eye and call me Tina.

Prayers from the heart can be so incredible…

Name Above All Names...

Name Above All Names...

Master, Savior, Lamb of God, Prince of Peace, Alpha and Omega, Messiah, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Son of God, Jehovah, Yeshua, Son of Man, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Bright and Morning Star, Emmanuel, Light of the World, Rose of Sharon, Lily of the Valley, Ancient of Days…

This list goes on and on and each name that flows from your heart reveals intimacy, but eventually, it always come back to the name…

Jesus

Jesus

Jesus

Kings and Kingdom’s will all pass away…but there’s something about that name.

~Happy Birthday Trina!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment