Monday, November 3, 2008

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

So tomorrow is the day for those of us who have not voted by mail or early voting, to cast our ballots in this election. Are you ready? I was not registered to vote in the state of California, so I had to register, and did so a week before the deadline. I received a letter from the registrar that informed me that I am now a registered voter in The Golden State. Holla!! This same letter also informed me that because of the time frame in which I registered that I would not be receiving the “Official Voter Information Guide”, and provided me the URL where I could go and download the PDF version to read, or better yet, there would be a copy in which I could read at my polling place - how convenient!!!…What…??? So~ What do you guys think I received in the mail the very next day?

Yup, you got it…my very own copy of the California General Election Voter’s Guide!! Woohoo!!! I was so excited, I rushed into the house to take a look at it. People…this “guide” is 143 pages long!!! There are 12…count them…12 propositions. Let’s run down the list, shall we?

1. High Speed Rail Bonds, Legislative Initiative Amendment

1A. Safe and Reliable High Speed Passenger Train Act

2. Standards for Confining Farm Animals, Initiative Statute

3. Children’s Hospital Bond Act. Grant Program. Initiative Statute

4. Waiting Period and Parental Notifcation Before Termination of Minor’s Pregnancy, Initiative Constitutional Amendment

5. Nonviolent Drug Offenses. Sentancing, Parole and Rehabilitation Initiative Statute

6. Police and Law Enforcement Funding, Criminal Penalties and Laws Initiative Statute

7. Renewable Energy Generation. Initiative Statute

8. Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couple to Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment

9. Criminal Justice System. Victims Rights. Parole. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute

10. Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Renewable Energy Bonds. Initiative Statute.

11. Redistricting, Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute

12. Veterans Bond Act of 2008.

Ok, so there you have it. I have voted before, but I have not ever voted where I was even remotely aware of what a proposition was or that it needed voting for. Besides, I don’t even remember now.

The TV is bombarded with commercials for and against, and the one that is most prevelant is the one for Proposition 8. And frankly, It is quite annoying. Mostly because the “Vote NO” side is lying…but here is a commerical for and against. The reason I say that the NO side is lying…is because the California Education Code says the following:

In law 51890 it states:

(1) Pupils will receive instruction to aid them in making decisions in matters of personal, family, and community health, to include the following subjects: (D) Family health and child development, including the legal and financial aspects and responsibilities of marriage and parenthood.

And in law 51933 it states:

(b) A school district that elects to offer comprehensive sexual health education pursuant to subdivision (a), whether taught by school district personnel or outside consultants, shall satisfy all of the following criteria: (7) Instruction and materials shall teach respect for marriage and committed relationships.

So if you read the same thing that I did, it clearly states that marriage is to be taught in schools. And if same-sex marriage is allowed in the state of California that means it WILL be taught in a school systems, don’t allow the NO campaign to tell you otherwise.

What does all this mean for employed Californian’s, teachers, churches; that you are either going to lose your job, be sued or simply be shut down. Why you ask, because if you do not believe it is right for same-sex marriage and you refuse service or not teach the material based on your personal beliefs, you can and most likely will be sued, fired, or shut down.

Don’t believe me, you can read about a few cases here. Now I had already made up my mind on this particular Proposition, I am voting YES on 8 - to Preserve Marriage as a union between a man and woman. Read this…

As for equal rights, in 2004 same-sex couples were given all the same rights as married couples just without the title of being “married.” They get to visit their partner in the hospital, they are allowed the same tax-exemptions, they are even allowed to get health insurance through their spouses company. This law effectively gave them everything they wanted out of marriage, giving them the same equal rights as married couples.

So let me ask you some questions. If 10% of Californian’s are gay than that would make 90% not gay right? So if I did my math right would you say it is fair for 10% of the population to push it’s views on the other 90%, what about the rights of the 90%? Also, the state already passed a law with a 61.4% majority stating it did not want same-sex marriage legalized, so how is it fair that four supreme court judges can overrule that? Please remember that this is not a civil rights issue this is a personal preference issue.

Ok…I’m just saying…

2 comments:

  1. Though I have friends/family that are gay, I am in total agreement with you. What ever happened to going to school to learn English & Math? Hello…I thought it was my place to discuss stuff like this with my kids and I think I should have that choice. I pray that today does not “make history” as everyone is saying and that the Christian values & beliefs that we try to teach our kids will remain…make sense? Even if it doesn’t, you know me and what I am trying to say =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sista!!! Being born and raised in CA, then being transplanted to WI, I completely agree with your views. I voted for McCain just a bit ago, and I am with you on Prop 8 - vote YES!!! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete