Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jesus and Starbucks


Have you ever been to a Starbucks or any local java joint and the expresso machine is broken?? Well, if you are a faithful coffee drinker, apparently this can be a pretty horrific experience. One morning, I went into my local grocery store that happens to have a Starbucks located inside, and guess what? The expresso machine was down! I am telling you…It was like mini-riot at the counter! You would have thought that the terrorist threat alert level had been raised to red and martial law had been imposed!

Among the riotors there were your stay-at-home-Navigator-driving-soccer moms, stressed from all their spa pedicures and playdates, then we have the high-school/college students stressed from trying to be “unique” and ‘individual” and then we have the corporate ladder climbing men, uhm, and women who are stressed from well, all that ladder climbing…ALL NEEDING ONE THING…COFFEE!!!!

Then from somewhere in the midst of the small crowd of rioters I heard one say “But what am I going to do?? I can’t get thru a day with out it…I need my coffee”…and everyone nodded in agreement…

I thought to myself, well goodness, according to Google Maps…there is another one just two blocks over, and another yet, half a mile away, and I am sure there is another one within walking distance!! Or, here’s a novel idea…grind your own beans at home…or better yet, just chew the beans up and swallow…it will be absorbed quicker…!! I am not a coffee drinker…I suppose my inability to sympathize at this point would not have gone over well, so I kept my thoughts to myself.

But let me offer an alternative if I may:

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be afraid of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

I can get through a day without coffee (I don’t drink it anyway), but can I get thru a day without Jesus? I suppose I could, but it wouldn’t work out so well…

No comments:

Post a Comment